Church of the Sacred Heart, Dunlewey with Donegal's highest moutain, Errigal, in the background
From Buildings of Ireland:
"This elegantly constructed Catholic church was built to designs by Timothy Hevey in 1878 and is reminiscent of Saint Eunan's Church, Raphoe, which he designed four years earlier. The patron of the church was William Ross of London who had just acquired Dunlewey Estate close by. It is a fine example of Hiberno-Romanesque revival church building, with elements of High Victorian architecture, such as the well-wrought rock-faced masonry that contrasts with the grey granite and white marble features. The stained-glass windows and statue of Christ over the entrance add artistic interest. The robust round tower provides a vertical emphasis, in keeping with the theme of early Christian architecture, and forms a counterpoint to the humped form of Errigal mountain and is a landmark in a bare, stony and treeless landscape."
Click on any of the photographs below to enlarge.
CONTACT & DETAILS
email: WeLoveDonegal@gmail.com or via our CONTACT form