Built 1828 and finished to it's present form in 1890.
Donegal Methodist Church, Donegal Town
From Buildings of Ireland:
"This elegant and well-composed mid-nineteenth century Methodist church/chapel retains its original form and character. The round-headed openings give this building a Romanesque architectural style, while the front elevation has a Norman Revival architectural character. Well-maintained, this building also retains many of its early fittings, including fine cast-iron windows with coloured glass, which adds to its architectural integrity.
It is well-built using good quality masonry with extensive cut stone detailing throughout, particularly to the impressive entrance gable (south), which is crowned by an unusually elaborate bellcote, and to the window and door openings. This handsome bellcote helps to articulate the roofline, and is a landmark in the skyline along the main approach road into Donegal Town from the west. The contrast between the dark grey masonry and the crisp yellow sandstone detailing, particularly to the openings, creates a pleasing tonal and textural variation to the exterior. The church hall is placed in the basement of the building, which makes use of the slope away to the north to conceal this feature to the main elevation (south). The form and detailing of this building is very similar to that found at a number of contemporary Methodists chapels in Ulster, including those at Cookstown in County Tyrone (built in 1858), at Newtownards in County Down (built 1854), and at Ballymoney in County Antrim (built 1861) in particular, suggesting that these churches were built to a ‘pattern book’ design and possibly to designs by the same architect. The Norman-style of the front elevation, and the pilaster strips/piers between the openings to the side elevations, is reminiscent of the detailing found at the Church of Ireland churches at Ballyshannon and at Pettigoe, both built to designs by William Farrell (d. 1851).
The present Methodist chapel in Donegal Town replaced an earlier one in the town (extant in 1837 – Ordnance Survey first edition six-inch map; Lewis Topographical Dictionary), which was located at the corner of Waterloo Place and New Row a short distance to the north-east of the present edifice on the site now occupied by the Masonic Lodge. This present Methodist chapel represents an interesting historical reminder of the religious diversity that existed in Donegal in the nineteenth century, and still exists in the Donegal Town area today. Sited in a pleasing location adjacent to the main bridge over the River Eske (40843011), this building is an important element of the built heritage of County Donegal, and it makes a positive contribution to the streetscape of Donegal Town. The simple boundary walls, the iron railings to the south, and the handsome main gateway complete the setting of this notable composition."