"A small tower-and-hall church, possibly dating to the late eighteenth century, but rebuilt about 1840. The layout is typical of such churches, built in large numbers, particularly in 1808-30, using loans and grants from the Board of First Fruits. The pointed-arch openings lend it a muted Gothic character typical of its era and style.
The plain exterior is enlivened by the simple ashlar surrounds to openings and various cut-stone details, all adding visual and decorative interest. The pointed-arch recesses to the tower, and the ventilation grills under the window openings in the nave, are unusual and distinctive. The vestry was added in 1886 and is distinguished by the cut sandstone detailing that creates attractive tonal and texture variation with the dark grey dimension stone used in its construction.
The graveyard contains a memorial to three British seamen and five unknown sailors who drowned in the sinking of the HMS Wasp off Tory Island in 1884, and four Commonwealth War graves of 1940. There is also a memorial to three Dutch sailors who died in 1940, but whose bodies were recently transferred to a military graveyard in the Netherlands.
Located in an elevated location with views over Ballyness Bay, the church is a key part of the built heritage and social history of the district and forms a group with the former rectory to the north and derelict school adjacent. The simple rubble stone boundary walls and gateway contribute to the setting."