The ruins of this old church sit on a hill above the village of Kilcar which got its name from St. Cartha who is reputedly buried in this old graveyard. There are various graves dotted about the site which is surrounded by an old stone wall. The graves range from decoratively carved flat stones on plinths to simple rocks making a grave.
Also buried there is Fr. Carr the priest who had the “Spanish Church” built together with the Spanish sailor who gave Fr. Carr is gold to build two churches when Fr. Carr found him dying.
“Kilcar Old Church: The parish church was in ruins in 1622 (Royal Commission, 221). The surviving church remains, 6.05m wide internally, are probably of a later date. It continued in use until 1828 when a new church (now disused) was built in Kilcar Village (Lewis II, 1837, 58; Maguine 1920, 30. Only the W gable at full height and adjoining sections c. 5-6m long of N and S walls survive.” (Brian Lacy ‘Archaeological Survey of County Donegal).
In one of the stone walls surrounding the old church there is an opening which leads to ground on which there are two holy wells.
Click on any of the photographs below to enlarge.
GETTING THERE You need to ask locally about exact route to this old church. PARKING Ask permission as it is on private land.
email: WeLoveDonegal@gmail.com or via our CONTACT form